Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

161 - 166 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
1/4" all around!! I thought my 3/16" was heavy. Those must weigh a ton.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Here is My setup.

The "Step Slider" rails are 3" x 6" x 1/4" & 65 1/4" long
w/ Full Penetration welds and Yes, they will hold air.
Just killing some time today, I decided to calculate how much air volume it would hold.

Given your dimensions minus wall thickness and step area and being two of them, I calculated 1506 cubic inches or 6.5 gallons. That is a good size tank for an on board air system.

If I was going to use them to store air I would take some steps to prevent rusting from the inside.

I would do all the cutting on the rectangle tube including cut out for step and shaping the ends.

!/4 inch is probably thick enough you could drill and tap it for 1/4 NPT air fittings. Anything larger I would use weld bungs. Beavis and Butthead Cornholio comes to mind for some reason.

Inlet and outlets should be high on the inside side of the tube and a drain low on inside side right behind where one of the mounting legs will be. Don't forget you need ports for a pressure relief and pressure switch.

I would attempt to clean the inside of the tube with some acetone.

Finish all the welding. Pressure test using liquid soap and water to check for leaks. Yeah I ain't good enough of a fabricator so I would have to do some repairs.

Caswell Gas Tank Sealer would be great to coat the inside of the tube. No welding after coating.

Remember any plumbing needs to run over the frame rails and not under. .

Before all the Chicken Littles chime in. YOU are on your own as far as how much pressure you want to store in your sliders. NO they aren't pressure rated nor do I care. Myself I would feel safe with 100-150 PSI.

I don't think it would be worth the extra work to make the mounting legs part of the air tank. Would mean drilling at least a 3/8 or 1/2 inch hole in the side of the rectangle tube where you are welding the legs. Remember you need to test and coat the the legs too.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,690 Posts
Man; photobucket really screwed up this informative thread. 🙁

161 - 166 of 166 Posts