Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

281 - 300 of 358 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Some of this thread is also copied into instagram but that is ok...
New shoes on the 91. Went a little old school with this one and I think I made the right choice.

American Racing Outlaw's with a set of Grabber ATX's. 15x8 slightly less backspace then stock so they are about flush.
I should have more goodies for the 78 by this weekend.
Checking the ups tracking site 4 times a day makes the stuff come faster right??

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
In middle of few other things but Had to post 1 of them. Will be awhile before they go in, due to having to fix another rust spot in the floor, seems silly to risk messing them up when cutting and welding on floor.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
Got these nice jug hoses for the jugs in the back of the 78, they have aluminum shut off valves.

Also have most the front end parts for the 78 now, Got spicer parts where I could. Such as the 2 boxes being Spicer spindles.

Still front diff shopping, haven't 100% made up my mind yet.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
Went with the TrueTrac From Eaton (detroit) fro the 78 and it is on its way. I don't need full locker in the front (rear spool) and that should be better then the open it currently is. We will see. Worst case I'll stick it in my more street oriented '92 and go full detroit or selectable up front on the 78 if I don't like it. I mostly play in the sand and mud so I think it will do good.
Been busy working on cleaning the garage up so have not done much on the trucks real recently, soon though. Have more work area now with addition of a bench and a smaller toolbox to keep junk more organized.

In other news, it has since been taken care of but, if you get safety gear always check the dates on the stuff before you install it. These where brand new in box, but old stock that got shipped to me.

As mentioned its been fixed by the supplier and they are now cert. in Dec of this year, so that is good news for me and my rate or progress as of lately...

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #285 (Edited)
Got my truetrac yesterday. Its nice. Just need some solid spindle bushings and spindle stud kits from wildhorses and should have everything to rebuild the front axle. I could likely of done a 60 or superduty stuff, but I like the dana 44 and for what I do, any of the options would of needed trussed and that, at least this one has less wieght. This particular dana 44 will have:
Spicer 4.10 Gears
Eaton TrueTrac
Ruffstuff Cover
Sleeved and trussed
Spicer Ball Joints
RCV 30 spline axle kit
Yukon Hardcore Locking Hubs
Bearing Cap Stud Kit
Likely few other small things here n there.

Last night got the work bench all done, the other half wanted to sort the bolts and nuts so that was a big help. I got a giftcard from HF, and they had this particular one in the scratch and dent.

Since that was taken care of, I was able to patch the floor on the 78.

If anymore needs fixed it will be getting complete new floor pans.

Seats and new harnesses are likely to go in next since floor is good enough for now

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Nice work bench and organization of it. Is that one of the SWAG Offroad band saw conversion? What saw did you choose to use? How do you like it? I have been contemplating buying one for some sheet metal work.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
Nice work bench and organization of it. Is that one of the SWAG Offroad band saw conversion? What saw did you choose to use? How do you like it? I have been contemplating buying one for some sheet metal work.
It is a SWAG base yes. I Have a Milwaukee deep cut corded bandsaw in it, I like tools which are red vs those that are yellow (though I do not have a real good reason). The variable speed makes it nice and very easy to use with different materials. I use it all the time. Space is a huge concern, given my work space, and that saw does 80% of what I need to do. The 5x5 size does limit it a bit but without getting a huge vertical saw I don't think can do much better. For the other stuff I grab the grinder with the cutoff wheel or the reciprocating saw. I also like that I can detach it from the base and use it for other stuff, which I have needed to do 3 times in the past few years.
You can likely see it on the bench (thanks by the way), I opted for the foot pedal. This makes it so I can simple ziptie the switch on the saw and use the foot pedal as off/on. I also feel make it a bit safer. I would not want to use this setup without the foot pedal.
Would I buy that combo again, yes. I also like that the blades are easy to change and also not a lot of money. They are much smaller then a traditional band saw too, so they take up less storage space. I have 3 of them in the top drawer right under the saw.

@MS88Bronc, I have a set of setup bearings that I would loan out if you need them. Should fit in prioty mail smaller box.

The other side of the bench, I had doubles of all these stickers so why not. Its now a car bench, vs just a wood working one, lol. Looked like good place to store the extra skid plate too. Dont mind the green tape its temporary until I get something to plug the holes in the top.

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
2,953 Posts
Actually, Big Blue and I are simply swapping third members. I’m sending him mine with the Detroit and he’s sending me his with the TT - both already have 4.56s already installed. Shouldn’t need to unbolt anything. Thank you though. Of course, nothing is set in stone.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Can you tell me more about how the front housing was sleeved?

Also, tell me more about the bearing stud kit - what’s the benefit?

I have an Eaton elocker, RCV’s, Reid Knuckles, 4.88, Ford 8 lug conversion, etc - a way over built 44 that I should have done a 60 for, but.....

Sleeving sounds like a good idea given the weight of my rig and that I aM running 38’s.....

I do have my front axle up for sale on Facebook - I would need about 2500 to buy and build a 60 minus the RCV’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
The studs should give the caps the most support they can have in the stock housing. Same thing running main studs in the bottom of an engine does. Usually they also hold the caps straighter and promote more clamping load. Though in this application, I am not sure if they are doing anything, will install, run for 1 year, and report back if was worth it over the bolts.
On The sleeve I basically copied this kit, or one like it, same idea's in all them.
Only was made to fit the 78/79 Dana 44. Since I was trussing mine, it didn't matter if it was an inner or an outer sleeve. I actually think the truss will be more effective with it being in combo with the outer sleeve as it should support more of axle tubes (in terms of contact area).
Deuling Designs makes a very nice Ford Dana 44 specifc low clearnace truss option that can go top/bottom. I'd of likely done that if I was gonna re-do mine. Deuling Design – Metal Parts, Panels, Signs & Fab

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
Wheel spacers came in. Doing some test fitting with current wheels before spending good money on a set with the correct backspace. I also started test fitting the PRP sliders to mount my new seats in. That appears like it will not be all that hard. Just a bit of mock up needed for helmet to roof clearance and such. They use angled mounts so its a bit different then what was in there.

This is the reason for the wierd small shelve that the wood bench butts up to. Excited to have room to layout all my stuff instead of it being all on top of each other. I put a "road/trail" tool set together last year so no longer need my main set to be mobile so it can now be spread out.

Enough garage pics, the next post will have Bronco stuff in it I promise. That Milwaukee Box is a nice piece, much thicker metal, and nicer slides then the others in that price range & size.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
Got the drivers side installed last night.
I like the way you can customize the PRP seats, however after installing 2 I think you do pay some extra for that luxury. I have installed Recaros and Corbeaus as well in other vehicles and I feel the quality is a little better on those, not to say the PRP are junk at all; This is in terms of just fit and finish, IE the mounting tabs where a little off on the driver side and few other small details I do not like, such as the unfinished-ness of the recliner lever pass threw on the side. Still will see how they hold up to offroad use. They are comfortable just sitting in them in the garage.

These particular seats are their daily driver series, they do this, which while it does help a little in this Bronco, would be perfect in a less roll caged one. The Corbeau's in my 92 would be nicer if they flipped forward this far.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I like them, they look great in there. Way better than the old ones. I’ve always like PRPs because of the way they look. Still want a set for my rock crawler. Those green and yellow plaid covered one in the ultimate adventure willys made me feel that way. I hope you enjoy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #296 (Edited)
Thanks.
I am certainly not just gonna take em out. I'll give em at least a year or so. I expect they will break in a bit over time and be even more comfortable. Thus far these are very much easier to get in/out so I like that. I feel with the harness moving in them wont be a big deal.
On to the next thing on the list.
Also from the front

Also how all the drawers look now, need more stuff too many open spots!!

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #298
Simple and quick install to see how this will work.

Puts the tire about even with fender, need to put a 35 on to see how it is with the real tires

I know there are some short comings with wheel adapter/spacers but this was much more cost effective before getting a set of wheel made witht the correct backspace. Only want to do that once.

·
Registered
441 Posts
PITA but I used the aluminum wheel method for my spacers on my yota. After a couple hundred miles I pulled the tires and retorqued the spacers. No loctite or anything, but I’m sure you know that. Haven’t had a problem out of them on or off road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
agree on PITA but I have to put 31s on it to get it in garage everytime too, so Im used to it, lol.
Plan is to run these maybe for 2020 then order up a set of double beadlock wheels with the correct offset/backspace build into the wheel and run those as the primary set...
May still have to run the spacers with my Mud Terrains but I haven't put it in a mud bog for awhile now.

281 - 300 of 358 Posts